Founded in 1876, the Millburn Fire Department enjoys a proud legacy of service spanning 140 years. The department personnel include 47 career firefighters that operate out of two fire stations. A minimum on-duty staff of seven personnel is supported by on-call career firefighters. Responding to an average of 2,000 calls per year, each firefighter is trained and certified in Firefighter I and II, First Responder Medical Care, CPR, Incident Command Levels 100 and 200, hazardous materials, awareness and operational levels, and mass decontamination. More than half of the fire department members are N.J. Certified Emergency Medical Technicians. The Millburn Fire Department operates four engines, one ladder truck, a heavy rescue unit, a Polaris Ranger capable of off road maneuvering and carrying one patient with support staff. One command vehicle and several support staff vehicles. In a recent partnership with the Newark Fire Department, Millburn houses and responds with a “U.A.S.I. Support Unit” which carries lumber and supplies to building collapse calls in a five county response area through which Millburn receives specialized training from the N.J. Department of Homeland Security.
News and Events
KIDDE Recalls Combo Smoke and CO Detector
Kidde is recalling combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. The recall includes Kidde Nighthawk combination smoke and CO detectors.
The alarms in these detectors can fail to chirp, thus not alerting owners when the detector has reached its seven-year end of life and needs to be replaced.
The detector can fail to alert owners to the end of the device's life if the batteries are replaced.
Homeowners could believe that their detectors are still working properly when, in actuality, they are not.
The Millburn Fire Department provides a professional all hazards emergency response including: fire suppression, rescue and hazardous materials. We are committed to protecting and supporting our community through planning, public education and code enforcement. We dedicate ourselves to the protection of life, property and the environment.
The Millburn Fire Department aspires to be an inspirational force in training, professionalism and proactiveness to its members and surround departments and communities. Achieving excellence through self assessment and accreditation in order to provide continuous quality improvement and the enhancement of service delivery to our community.
Fire Department Services
Emergency Response Services
- Fires in structures, vehicles, brush fires
- Leaking fluids and vapors
- General rescues in household, water, high angle and confined space.
- Arching, low hanging, burning or downed wires.
- Vehicle accidents with entrapment, injuries and fluid spills
- Building collapse or partial collapse
- Automatic fire alarms including street pull boxes.
- Medical emergencies
Nonemergency Response Services
- Investigation of strange odors, noises or other conditions
- Assist residents locked out of their homes
- Pump water out of homes
- Provide emergency lighting and electrical power in emergencies
- Assist home bound residents with household challenges
- Remove dangerous conditions on location
- Sponsor Open House to the entire community in October
- Sponsor Annual Halloween Parade
- Co-sponsor Annual Memorial Day Parade and Easter Egg Hunt
Fire Prevention Presentations
The Fire Department provides fire prevention presentations to various groups on all topics including:
- Dormitory safety for college bound students
- Surviving a hotel/motel fire
- Fire safety for seniors
- Fire extinguisher training
- Coordinate Township Code RED notification system
- Coordinate the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)