What We Do
The Building Department is responsible for building safety standards relating to the design, construction, use and occupancy of all buildings and structures located within the Township of Millburn.
The Building Department enforces the Zoning Ordinance of the Township of Millburn and the Uniform Construction Code of the State of New Jersey.
The Building Department is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Resources, including zoning information, building permit application forms, inspection schedules and related literature, are available to assist in the filing of permit applications and may be obtained at the Building Department on the first floor of Town Hall, located at 375 Millburn Avenue. Visitor parking is provided in designated spaces in Municipal Parking Lot #5, adjacent to the building on Millburn Avenue.
Reviewing Property Documents and Plans
Permit information specific to a property can be viewed using the SDL Portal. You may search by property owner name, property address or parcel number. Please contact the Building Department for specific documents pertaining to a property. Interior plans are exempt from being provided due to security reasons.
All copies of the Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical technical sections must be sealed by the corresponding licensee. Please provide one original plus three photocopies of each completed applicable form. However, for originals that are required to have a raised seal, the photocopies would also be required to contain this raised seal. In other words, fill out one form, photocopy it, then seal original and all copies. Any permit that is not paid for and picked up within 6 months of application will be voided.
- Certificate of Occupancy (PDF)
- Construction Permit Application (PDF)
- Building Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Electrical Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Elevator Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Elevator Subcode Supplement for Multiple Equipment (PDF)
- Fire Protection Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Mechanical Inspection Technical Section (PDF)
- Plumbing Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- What is a building permit required for?
- What happens if I am caught working without a permit?
- How much do permits cost?
- Will I be able to schedule an inspection the same day I make the request?
- What if I have an old permit for which I never scheduled an inspection?
- How do I obtain a building permit?
- What does the Zoning Official do?
- Do I Need Zoning Approval?
- What is the Uniform Construction Code?