Municipal Clerk's Office
The Township Clerk serves as the secretary of the municipal corporation, as the Local Election Administrator and as secretary to the Governing Body, providing a variety of administrative and community relations services for them. This office receives, distributes and assigns correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and Committee, prepares Township Meeting agendas, resolutions, proclamations, ordinances and public meeting minutes. The Clerk administers the bidding and awarding of municipal contracts. The Clerk maintains official township files and records. The Clerk also oversees a variety of licenses.
Our goal is to assist all residents and members of the public in a friendly, helpful and courteous manner and to provide information to the Governing Body and all municipal departments. Some of the broad range of services provided by the Municipal Clerks Office is detailed below and are accomplished by the dedicated employees who make up the department.
The following is a list of various responsibilities of the Municipal Clerks Office:
- Processes and issues licenses, such as: raffle/bingo, liquor, social affair, limo, towing, sidewalk cafes, film permits, public exhibition, hawkers and peddlers, canvasser and solicitor, secondhand jewelry and special metals. view the list of applications available electronically.
- Provides releasable records upon request as the Custodian of Public Records for Millburn Town Hall. View the OPRA form (PDF).
- Please contact the Police Department directly to obtain Police Department records; please call 973-564-7001 and/or email the Police Department.
- Please contact the Fire Department directly to obtain Fire Department records; please call 973-564-7035 and/or email the Fire Department
- Maintains Landlord/Tenant Rental Registration. View obtain the Landlord/Tenant form (PDF).
- Responds to resident and public inquires and complaints.
Other services include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates use of meeting rooms in the municipal building. Email the Town Clerk for information.
- Receives and files bonds and insurance policies.
- Serves as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs.
- Coordinates the filing of Financial Disclosure forms as required by state law. View Financial Disclosure Statements.
Secretary to the Governing Body:
- Advertises, as required by law, and attends all meetings of the Township Committee and prepares agendas and meetings of the meetings. View meeting agendas and minutes. Search Public Notices and Advertisements (Item of Millburn and Short Hills and Star Ledger serve Millburn)
- Forwards adopted Ordinances to Codifier for processing. View the Millburn Township Code and recently adopted ordinances pending codification.
- Accepts, opens, records and maintains records for all bids. Please see the tab on the left hand side of this page for Bid Notices and Results.
- Maintains listing of Board/Commission members with term expirations. Interested in serving Millburn Township? Access the Volunteer Interest Form (Google Form).
- Acts as liaison between the public and Governing Body.
- Administers and records Oaths of Office.
Secretary to the Municipal Corporation
- Signature for official documents.
- Attests signature of municipal officers and officials.
- Maintains custody of all minute books, deeds, bonds, contracts, legal documents and archival records.
- Retains custody of the Municipal seal.
- Serves as Chief Registrar of voters in the municipality subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- Suggests polling places to Election Board. Find your polling location.
- Interested in becoming a Millburn Township Board Worker for upcoming elections? Compensation is $200 for the day. View more information or call the Essex County Board of Elections at 973-621-5070 for more information.
- Certifies vacancies existing on the local level.
- Maintains receipt of nominating petitions and certifies to the County Clerk local candidates nominated by petition.
- Exercises quasi-judicial authority in determining the validity of petitions.
- Conducts drawing for position of candidates on the local ballot.
- Furnishes material for local elections to poll workers.
- Certifies to County Clerk persons elected to partisan County Committee offices in each election district.
- How do I contact my legislator?
- Do I register to vote in the Clerk’s Office?
- How do I obtain a Vote By Mail Ballot Application (formerly known as an Absentee Ballot)?
- Where is my polling place?
- How do I obtain a Volunteer Interest Form to serve on a Township board or commission?
- How can I get a Request for Public Records Form?
- Where can I find the most recently passed Township ordinances?
- My organization is having a raffle in the Township. Where can obtain a raffle license?
- Do I obtain marriage, birth or death certificates at the Clerk’s Office?
- How do I obtain a report of a list of Known Contaminated Sites?