The Public Works Department of the Township of Millburn is responsible for the following:
- Collection of leaves
- Educating the public in various areas
- Flood control of Township right-of-way
- Installation of street name signs
- Providing assistance to other Townships
- Response to citizen inquires
- Snow removal on Township roads and parking lots
- All 16 Township owned parking lots
- All municipal buildings
- All Township parks and grounds
- Storm sewers sanitation
- Township trees on right-of-way
- Minor curb repair
Please note that county roads are serviced and maintained by Essex County. Find more information and help regarding County Roads here.
The Town Yard is located behind the Millburn Department of Public Works building, with additional access on Old Short Hills Road through Municipal Lot #16. Residents who wish to enter the yard must show proof of residency.
Materials Accepted at Town Yard:
- Most type 13 bulky waste items
- Herbaceous waste
- Used engine oil
- Rugs, mattresses and box springs
- Indoor and outdoor furniture
- Outdoor play equipment
- Screens and screen doors
- Packing polystyrene (no peanuts)
- Televisions, electronic devices
- Small appliances
- Dry, empty paint cans
- Clothing and toys
- Disassembled metal storage sheds
- Car tires (no wheels)
A complete list of materials, including information on e-cycling and Polystyrene Recycling, can be found in the Public Works Pamphlet (PDF).
Leaf composting provides mulch to Township residents at the Recycling Center on availability.
Trash and Recycling
Curbside Vegetative Waste Collection
Grass clippings, small quantities of leaves, small tree branches, herbaceous waste and twigs may be placed in open containers or paper biodegradable bags at the curb for collection.
Vegetative waste collection runs from March 1 through October 31 and occurs on each zone’s first trash collection day of the week.
White Goods Collection
Large metal appliances, such as air conditioners, stoves, washers, dryers, refrigerators, etc. are picked up by appointment on Tuesdays only. Call DPW at (973) 564-7060 to schedule a pick up.
Please note state law requires all doors and lids be removed from freezers and refrigerators prior to placing them curbside.
Christmas trees may be recycled curbside during the month of January.
Wreaths should be dropped off at the Township Yard at the “Bulky Waste” area behind the DPW building.