Click HERE to submit any questions or concerns in regards to the Advanced Accelerator Application Form.
• On October 20th, the Township Committee will consider a resolution to hire a professional consultant that was vetted by the Township Attorney.
• As charged by the Township Committee the Office of the Millburn Township Attorney has narrowed the search for an independent consultant, experienced in the field of radiopharmaceutical manufacturing, to three candidates. These candidates are currently being interviewed and vetted by the Township Attorney, who will select a consultant to be considered through a professional service resolution before the Township Committee. Once the resolution is approved the consultant will present on subject matter brought up by Township residents.
• The Township Committee, in an effort to respond to residents’ concerns about an Advanced Accelerator Applications (AAA) facility that was recently approved by the Township Planning Board, has directed the Township Attorney to identify independent consultants with the proper expertise to assess the particulars of those issues brought forth by residents.
• The following points were conveyed to Jenny Goodman, Acting Chief of the Bureau of Environmental Radiation with State of New Jersey.
• AAA has received land use approval for the operation of a light manufacturing facility in the Township which involves the manufacture of medicine to treat cancer. The medicine will have as one of its constituent elements LU 177, which we understand to be a radioactive material. Many residents of the Township have come forward to express their concerns over the potential public health and safety issues this operation may have. To address these concerns the Township is seeking an acknowledged and independent expert to undertake an analysis of the proposed operations of AAA in an effort to educate the public regarding this matter and to advise the Township as to any efforts it may take to mitigate these concerns.
• As part of this effort we need to understand the application process which is currently pending before the Department of Environmental Protection to determine what role the Township of Millburn and/or its residents, if any, can play in the license review process.
• The Township Administrator, Timothy Gordon, is coordinating with Police, Fire and Health Department officials from the Township to determine and outline the proper response to any potential release of material at the proposed location. The question of Advanced Accelerator Applications’ responsibility for having a developed plan was also asked of the Bureau of Environmental Radiation.