On 01/26/15 we had three (3) residents call and state that they had received a phone message from the phone number 315-879-6842. The message stated the caller’s name was David Grey and that the recipient of the phone call owed back taxes to the Treasury Department. He continued by stating that if they didn’t pay, Federal charges would be filed and the individual would be arrested. The message said that they can help before it goes in front of a magistrate, two (2) of the residents did not want to file reports and one (1) of them said that he was going to go to the Police to file a report.
All cases of reported fraud are further investigated and if it is determined the activity occurred in our jurisdiction our Detective Bureau will investigate to its conclusion. Please be aware of this situation and to report it if it occurs.
Residents can protect themselves in the following ways:
• Shred any and all documents containing their personal information such as Social Security Numbers, credit card numbers, bank statements, checks (especially routing and account numbers), and tax returns
• Check credit reports on a monthly basis and possibly retain the services of a company that provides credit monitoring
• Never give out your personal information regarding financial matters. Credit card companies do not send emails for information
• If you are suspicious of a call or caller ask to call them back (especially if it is a company you do business with, i.e. Verizon) and use a number that you have on file
• In all cases if you feel uncomfortable, suspicious or unsure do not give out any information and alert the Millburn PD to look into the matter further