Millburn’s Single-Use Plastics Ordinance goes into effect on June 12, 2020.
Ordinance No. 2547-19
The purpose of this Ordinance is to prohibit the use of single-use plastic carryout bags and polystyrene containers at retail establishments and reduce the use of single-use straws within the Township.
The Effective Date of the Ordinance is June 12, 2020.
Summary of Law
- Single-use plastic carryout bags are banned in ALL retail establishments
- Polystyrene (frequently referred to as styrofoam) carryout containers are banned in ALL retail establishments
- Single-use straws are available only upon request
- Paper bags may be offered to customers for a fee of five-cents per bag
- Reusable bags may be offered to customers for a fee of at least ten-cents per bag
- Customers may bring their own bags, of ANY type, with them to carry out their purchases
- Retailers must keep the bag fees
- The only plastic bags and polystyrene containers banned by this Ordinance are those used to carry out purchases
For questions on the ban, visit our FAQ page.