The following are Exemptions to the law:
(a) Plastic bags used inside the retail establishment to:
- Package bulk items, such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, candles, or small hardware items;
- Contain or wrap frozen and non-frozen foods, meat, or fish, whether packaged or not;
- Contain or wrap flowers, potted plants, or other items where dampness may be an issue;
- Contain unwrapped prepared foods or bakery goods;
- Contain pharmacy prescription bags, or
- Contain articles of clothing in garment bags.
(b) Newspaper bags, door-hanger bags, laundry and/or dry cleaning bags, or bags sold in packages containing multiple bags intended as food storage bags, garbage bags, yard waste bags, or pet waste bags.