Is a C.O (Certificate of Occupancy) required for sale of my home?

No. You will need a smoke detector certification, which you can obtain by calling the Millburn Fire Department at 973-564-7043. However, we recommend that you call the Building Department at 973-564-7055 to determine if there are open permits on your property, which could slow the process of selling your home. Be sure to do this well in advance of your closing date in order to ensure receiving the information in time.

Show All Answers

1. What is a building permit required for?
2. What happens if I am caught working without a permit?
3. How much do permits cost?
4. When are inspections required for new buildings, alterations, additions, and renovations?
5. Is a C.O (Certificate of Occupancy) required for sale of my home?
6. Will I be able to schedule an inspection the same day I make the request?
7. What if I have an old permit for which I never scheduled an inspection?
8. How do I obtain a building permit?
9. What does the Zoning Official do?
10. Do I Need Zoning Approval?
11. What is the Uniform Construction Code?
12. Do I need Historic Preservation Commission Approval?